Saturday, January 17, 2009

2500 Words and Counting

Since Monday night I'm up to about 2500 words in my manuscript. That's not even close to meeting my goal of 1000 words per day, but I think the lower output has been caused by the slow evolution of finding my routine when I sit down to write. I have the itch to rewrite and move things around every time I pop open the laptop but I'm learning to control that.

When I first started thinking about writing the #1 piece of advice was write everyday, no matter what it is, just write something. I can see why that is so important. Now each time I write, I can see what I was lacking the day before and correct that in today's new additions. I can see that cycle occurring over and over until you get comfortable and know where things are getting hairy as you go along. It's never perfect the first time through but at least you can spot it earlier and correct it faster. (At least I'm guessing that's how it works)

The one thing I've found to be a slight hindrance is late night writing. My brain does not work nearly as fast after 10pm as it used to. I've taken a few lunch breaks to write and I've found it flows much better than late at night. Nights are the the only large amounts of time I have so I guess I have to fight through it.

I'm having a great time doing it so I must be doing something right. Thank you all of you for the tips and encouragement. They are greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

Cullen Gallagher said...

"The one thing I've found to be a slight hindrance is late night writing. My brain does not work nearly as fast after 10pm as it used to."

I've found that I write differently at various times during the day. My favorite times are usually when I first wake up, or after midnight (when everyone else in the apartment has gone to bed). But, those aren't always options, with getting up for work in the morning, etc, so I'm trying to get used to writing at other points during the day as well.

Good luck with your manuscript! I added your blog to my site, so I'll be sure to watch for updates.

David Cranmer said...

I'm glad it's going well!

Post a Comment