Friday, January 2, 2009

2009 New Year's Resolutions

1. Write a novel. Last year my wife set goals for everything she wanted to do before she turned 30 (sorry babe). That inspired me to set some goals before I turn the big 3-0 in 2009. Writing a novel is at the top of the list. I wrote quite a bit when I was younger, but mostly little 4 page Batman short stories and book reports I chose to do for no one in particular (I did a write up on the Warren Report....I was 12....damn you Oliver Stone). I know it's a bit ambitious but everybody starts somewhere. Hopefully I can stick with it and have a least a first draft done by July 30th.

2. Start interacting in the Crime Fiction community. This blog was inspired by Duane Swierczynski, Scott Parker, and Patti Abbott. Hopefully I can follow in their footsteps and either add something to the conversation or start a conversation worth discussing.

3. Keep reading and turn off the damn television!

2 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I turned off the TV too (though I do watch a lot of DVDs) years ago and it definitely helped. When it comes to writing, I've tried to set a goal for myself everyday. It can be difficult to stick to the plan, but I'm determined to get a novel done before the end of the year as well. Good luck!

Scott D. Parker said...

My goals for 2009 are to write more short stories. Since my second novel is mired in mental mud, the writing of my first seemed wonderfully easy. What helped me were a few things. Might help you, too. One, each week, I delivered a new chapter to a writing group (3 people). It was embarrassing when I didn't have new material. We spurred each other on. Two, do not worry about an agent/publishing/whatever. Write for yourself, the first reader. Entertain yourself and you'll entertain others. Three, like David said, maintain whatever goals you set for yourself. For me, I wrote for an hour every night at 10pm. As the story went on (entertaining myself, BTW), I got to where I was excited about sitting down to write and, frankly, couldn't wait.

There are other things but I'll just stick with those three for now. Feel free to e-mail anytime.

Post a Comment